Parents! Hands up if you need a lie down. After nine weeks of “staying home”, I think we all do, which is why the latest entry in my lockdown ideas for parents series involves you lying down and your kid(s) doing all the work.
Hold on. Did you read that right? Am I saying that I’ve come up with a game that involves parents doing nothing but lying on the floor? Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. It’s called Duplo Shadows. It takes at least ten minutes to complete. And it’s the best nap I’ve had in the last three months. Here’s how it works…
- Get your kid(s) to gather all the Duplo (or Lego or Mega Bloks) he, she or they own.
- Lie on the floor in a comfortable position.
- Get your kid(s) to build a Duplo (or Lego or Mega Bloks) wall around the outline of your body.
- Close your eyes and enjoy the peace.
- Stay put until he, she or they shout “finished”.
- Stand up and look at your Duplo (or Lego or Mega Bloks) shadow.
- Take a cool photo like the one I’ve posted below.
- Suggest that “the shadow will be even funnier if you lie in a different position” and rerun the fun.
- Repeat points 2-8 for as long as you can get away with it.
And that’s pretty much it. If you’re lucky, you’ll get to lie on the floor for 20-30 minutes. If you’re not, you’ll be back on your feet in ten. Either way, you’ll be several hundred seconds closer to bedtime. And what’s not to like about that?
Until next time…
P.S. Make sure you check out the other ideas in my lockdown ideas for parents series.